Friday, July 23, 2010

Stepping on Feet and Shoes

Hello Everyone,
I was so glad to see email replies already last night as well as two official followers! Whoohoo! Thanks you two, you know who you are! Sweeties. I feared that I would be like Julie in "Julie and Julia" where she was the only one blogging on her blog spot for an embarrassing amount of time. But no, there is support for our community out there.
So here is a "blunder of the day" (let's not make this one official because it would become depressing very fast):
During class, I stepped on my 90 year old client's foot. Those darn Italian sandals which literally hold all the toes minus the big toe are so beautiful, but I have to think too much while shifting from place to place. Oh all right! Even when I walk! I know many of us Gyrotonic and Gyrokinesis instructors work barefoot. We tend to dress more like dancers when barefoot, with a bohemian artistry even. After years of working barefoot, I have converted years ago to wearing shoes. I love shoes btw, but that would be another blog. Let's get back on board; (I love tangents too)
Working in a Pilates enviroment, I see a lot of tennis shoes, and though i wear them especially in the winter,it seems a little out of place. Sporty. Some of you are saying, "Yeah!" Some of you are saying, "What's wrong with tennis shoes?" Nothing. Just something to blog about.
We have some amazing dressers at Balance Studio, where I work. People who wear the latest Lululemon, Lucy, Prana etc., but I think one of the most important factors in a teaching shirt is a little extra length so my tummy is not exposed when I lift my arms to demonstrate. My boyfriend disagrees, but tough. Some of you have beautiful tummies which i don't mind seeing, but that's how it goes over here in my house. Juliu in fact always wears those nicely cut longer shirts.
Have you ever noticed how some women constantly roll their pant legs down while doing the Hamstring Series? How annoying. I almost want to say, "I have elastic bands if you want.", but its the hair they are worrying about, and calling attention to that which they are trying to hide might embarrass them more.

TEACHING TIP:
btw, these are totally unofficial tips which come from me, so give them the weight you prefer.
When working with the elderly (don't step on their feet!) one may experience signs of dimentia or forgetfullness in the client and a person may repeat to you the same story over and over again. I have an experience where my client talks about when she was a young lady working in her father's sheet metal shop. She has told this story to me countless times over the years, and I act like I've never heard it before. The body has physical memories and almost every time my client takes a Gyrotonic class, bless her heart, she has the same exact memory. How beautiful though that the muscle memory brings her back to another physical experience. Revealing to a person that he or she has already told you the story can create some confusion and embarrassment, and going with her story allows my client to travel into that part of the brain which she hardly uses. My client comes with a family member and that person says that my client only brings the "shop days" up during Gyrotonic classes. Love that!

1 comment: